September 2015 OACETT Council Meeting
OACETT held its third Council meeting of 2015 on September 18-19 in Brampton with the following highlights:
• Based on healthy reserves, Council agreed to maintain membership fees at their current level for 2016.
• After a presentation summarizing the rationale, implementation and communication strategy surrounding mandatory Continuing Professional Development (CPD), Council unanimously approved its Committee's recommendation to adopt mandatory CPD for most members, effective January 1, 2016. The committee’s responses to councillors’ questions regarding tracking, auditing and eligibility of courses underscored the program's flexibility. Members may meet the criteria through a variety of applicable activities, including self-directed study, ensuring they remain competent in their chosen technology career.
• Together, Rod Macleod, C.E.T., an OACETT past-president, Lori Cornwall, LL.B., public representative on Council, and Rob Clause, CPA, CA, manager, accounting & assurance at BDO Canada LLP, delivered a presentation outlining the role and responsibilities of councillors. This presentation clarified governance structure and policies, explained councillors’ legal obligations and offered insight into the interpretation of financial statements.
• Council heard that OACETT has created videos promoting the benefits of OACETT membership and certification to students and internationally educated professionals. These videos will be accessible from OACETT’s website and will be distributed to colleges, settlement agencies and chapters for them to use when needed to explain the benefits of certification, allowing OACETT’s message to reach a wider audience.
• To encourage members who have registered for the Professional Practice Exam (PPE) and received their study materials to write their exam in a more timely fashion, IETO recommended moving from a one-year time period in which to write the exam to a six-month period. Council approved the recommendation to establish a $150 extension fee for regular members and an $80 extension fee for students beginning January 1, 2016 for all new PPE registrants if the exam is not written within six months of registration. For those members previously given one year to write the exam, the $150 extension fee will be imposed after their one-year deadline has been reached.
• Council welcomed Vanessa Seenath, a Sheridan College chemical engineering technology student. She was sworn in and will serve a one-year term as the student representative on OACETT Council.
Background documents from the September Council meeting can be viewed on our website here
. As always, your comments, suggestions and concerns are appreciated. Please contact me at email@example.com or via twitter @OACETTPres.
Bob van den Berg, C.E.T.