You can join OACETT as an associate member if you:
Joining OACETT as an associate member is the first step to becoming one of the following:
- Have completed at least six academic credits (about one year of studies) in an Ontario post-secondary program in engineering or applied science technology.
- Are at least 18 years old.
- Certified Engineering Technologist (C.E.T.)
- Certified Technician (C.Tech.)
Here’s how to join OACETT:
- Submit a Post-Secondary Student Membership Application form to OACETT. Complete all sections including e-mail address and your field of study. The application fee is currently available at a significantly reduced rate and your membership dues for your first year of membership are free. You will be registered within one month as an Associate member. There is a reduced student membership rate (see Fee schedule) which applies while in full-time attendance at a post-secondary institution. After graduation you will be invoiced the full Associate dues on your next anniversary date.
- The Institute of Engineering Technology of Ontario (IETO), the registration and certification arm of OACETT, reviews your application and registers you for membership if eligible. As soon as you receive your membership card, you will have access to the CTEN job network and your benefits as an associate member.
- To become certified as either a technician or a technologist, associate members must write and pass the Professional Practice Examination (PPE). Writing the PPE enables you to meet the high professional standards set by your association in the area of ethics and responsibility to the public and your employer. You may write the PPE any time after you join as an associate member and while you are still in school.
- One of the requirements to become certified is at least two years experience in your discipline. You can earn credit towards this two-year experience requirement for co-op, intern or other equivalent experience gained while a student in an engineering or applied science technology program. Up to one full year may be credited if you attended or are attending a nationally accredited program or, if your supervisor during the co-op placement is a certified member of OACETT or a licenced professional such as a P.Eng, OAA, P.GEO, or O.L.S. Co-op work experience that does not fall into either of these two categories is recognized at 50% of the time worked up to a maximum of 6 months. In any case, co-op experience can significantly reduce the experience requirement after graduation.
- When you graduate, ask your educational institution to mail us an official transcript. We will send you a certification summary of what needs to be done to get certified. Be sure to update your profile through our website so we have accurate contact information to which to send this.
Find out more about getting certified.